Sunday, May 12, 2013

Checklists and Race weekend prep



As you may have read in a previous post rather than taking my bike home from the track after Round 1, the folks at Seacoast Sport Cycle graciously took it back to their shop to diagnose my engine trouble. Normally I would be busy doing post race telemetry data review and prepping the bike for Round 2 but I forgot to remove my USB stick from the tail before my little racer went for a trip to the dyno.

Well, that's given me plenty of time to think about all of the items that I really need to be full prepared at the track.  I contrast of course to everything I brought for the first round.

I started putting together I pretty comprehensive checklist of everything I need to spend an entire weekend at the track camping. I also decided that there were several things I could be doing much more efficiently.

First, I've been using separate front and rear stands because it is easier to put the rear up after a run by myself vs. my center lift stand. Doing it this way requires me to either back the bike into it's spot so that it's a straight shot to the pre-grid for the next race. Or of course, do it I was doing it, walk the bike back and forth after taking the warmers off and try not to drop it before my next race. Neither is ideal.

I decided that I would order a floor mount front tire chock stand and then use my center lift stand after I dismount. this way, I can pit out after a race, drive into my garage spot and drive right into the front wheel stand. Next, I'll dismount the bike, center lift it which will free it from the chock stand.. Now I can effortlessly spin it around in place, install the tire warmers and we're good to go. Hopefully this will be just as smooth as I described next weekend.

I also decided to consolidate most of the items I'm bringing to the track into far fewer containers. This was pretty fun and I re purposed an old toolbox to become my new race case. While I filled it up pretty quickly, I think that I've achieved easy access to everything I'll need and gained a ton of places for stickers in the meanwhile.

if you're going ride - remember to twist it!

-diz

No comments:

Post a Comment