Sunday, February 24, 2013

Handy trick I just invented!

Hi Again, it's a rainy day in Boston so I thought I'd sit down and tell you what I've been up to today.

Getting Ready for Tech Inspection

I don't know if you folks work on your rides with a friend or if it's a hobby that you like to do alone.  Or if you're like me and most of your friends are older, married or just aren't just that into racing.

For me, I know that much of what I need to do at the track is going to be a solo flight.  I'm OK with this cause I'm going to meet a lot of great new people and over time think I'll have a ton of new friendships but that likely doesn't change the fact that when I'm getting busy unstrapping tire warmers, pulling stands getting suited up, all while everyone else will be doing the same thing too.

One of the things that I do a good bit of as I'm perfecting my little racer is remove and replace the lower race skin pan.  This is not really easy to do by yourself without stretching and scratching it.

Time to create a plan.  I started by thinking how my friends have helped me in the past as I'm trying to line the skins up and this is what I came up with.

I epoxied a small data cable wire wrap to the inside of the left upper race skin.  These ties are really handy because they have very strong Velcro and have clips for removing strain from cable ends.

Next I epoxied a small piece of Velcro to the battery holder so that the clip wouldn't be rattling while I fly down the track (or waddle down the track if you prefer)

After than, I place a soft blanket on the ground to prevent scratching and I clipped the Velcro to one of the quick connects on the lower pan.  This guides the left hand side of the pan into position very nicely as I pick it up from the right hand side.

In this pic, I've pulled the pan under the biked and attacked all of the quick connects on the right side.

Here's pic of what the actions on the right side of the bike did to the left.  As you can see the pan is perfectly lined up for assembling and it rolled directly into this position without any help or fussing. 

Next I just unclipped the Velcro and slipped it up onto the Velcro on the battery compartment cover.
Perfect!!  :)

Here a photo looking down inside the race skins to give an idea of how easy it is to access.

I have a ton of these Velcro ties btw if anyone wants them, just reach out to me.
 
Until next time, cheers from DZ Racer Chick!!

3 comments:

  1. Been following your build. Nice to have the factory battery located at such a low spot. Planning on getting a lightweight battery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't planned on it, I'm actually getting pretty anxious to get a sense for what this bike is gonna handle like after making so many setup changes. I'm pretty new at this stuff and suspect that my novice season will be mostly learning to execute with greater consistency and if I'm lucky passing every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a novice myself, I find more seat time and better stamina & physical always helps.

    Try to do as many practice days as you can. Better stamina & physical helps you focus on actually riding the bike and not gasping for air, it also adds a level of safety for racing or just track riding in general.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete