Sunday, February 3, 2013

Safety Wiring is Fun!!

OK, I'm pretty much done back posting the progress of the bike and now I'll proceed more realtime.

Well if I've learned one thing from talking to everyone, safety wire guidelines are subjective.  That is to say that the rule books seem pretty vague and seems to change from season to season.  I think this is much important than just how much of the bike must be wired to pass inspection.  I think it's also an a notable reminder to ensure that you've considered torque and buttoned up any work you do before to put the bike to the test.


Several racers and techs I've spoken to have given me some consistent advice...


If you don't want it falling off at 180 MPH, then drill it and wire it.  I may have gone too far...


But I must say that wiring is pretty fun.  I drilled a few key nuts and bolts myself but I ordered an enormous number of titanium 'race ready' parts and they are just beautiful.


I know that not many girls will look at titanium bolts and see beauty but I'm in love with every aspect of engineering...


And maybe a little insane.  OK, give me some advice folks...  Did I over do it?

-dana

1 comment: